Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

RTW: Fave Books of May!

Writing Song of the Day: 'Till We Die by Slipknot (check it out on our Playlist!)

Pam's Thoughts:

I had a chance to read A LOT of books in May. Much more than usual. Which means I had to sacrifice a few things. And you know what? I don't even feel guilty. So which book in my heaping "read and conquered" pile would I say is the absolute BEST? None other than Looking for Alaska by John Green.

That's right. I've jumped on the John Green Love Machine and I'm never getting off. I'm already making plans to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson and An Abundance of Katherines. Soon, my preciouses, soon.

So, what do I love so much about Alaska? How about EVERYTHING! I love books that can make me laugh aloud, and then make me blubber like a baby. It was like I was going through a roller coaster of emotions while reading this book. Green writes about average teenagers (or above average, since those who have read Alaska know that The Colonel is a genius), yet provides characteristics that make them both unique and familiar. It's like we've all met someone like Pudge before, and that's why we're so willing to follow his journey.


What's even cooler is that Green doesn't add any supernatural elements to make this book enjoyable. Not that I have anything against the supernatural (I'm currently reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth and it's definitely a page-turner), but realistic YA is what I love to write. And it warms my heart to know that there's still an audience for it. But most of all, this book challenges me to be a better writer. If you want to write realistic, contemporary YA, you have to make sure your readers care--and I just can't stop swooning over this novel. But I have to because Marquita wants to share her fave book. :)


Quita's Thoughts:


Wow-how can I follow that? WITH THIS!


Are you intrigued yet?? Good. I didn't get to read that much this month b/c I've been trying to close out the school year with SOL testing review, and because I am trying to write my second WIP (40 some pages in yeah boy!) BUT, I am more than halfway through my guilty pleasure novel- Dead in the Family (Sooke Stackhouse series) by Charlaine Harris.

Even if I had finished the Sookie book, I would still say my fave book in May was Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver. I like Stiefvater a lot- not only does she take up residence in me and Pam's hometown, VA (two up- two down!), but she also uses music while writing and in her writing.

Shiver is a supernatural thriller/romance that focuses on Sam and Grace's tumultous relationship- oh, did I mention that Sam is a wolf (werewolf is a debatable term in his opinion)??? I liked Shiver because the relationship between the two characters is beautiful, the dialogue is realistic, and I really enjoyed the alternating chapters- one would be in Grace's POV and then another would be in Sam's POV. It kept me on my toes and helped to move the action of the novel along. If you have not read Shiver go and buy/borrow it today- that way you can be ready to read Linger (coming out July 20th, 2010)




BTW- remember that contest we told you about on Monday?? We'll stop teasing you tomorrow- make sure you come back to check it out!

13 comments:

Holly Hill said...

Oh both of those are on my TBR list. Now I'm anxious to get to them :)

Racquel Henry said...

Interesting choices...lol..and OMG you guys merged! I am SO NOT surprised by this! I was looking on Pam's blog to try and get my blogger award (I know I'm sooooo late)and I was pleasantly surprised! Now what I need for you guys to do is to help me stay on the "up-and-up"...How did you get your twitter thing on the page? And how do you get that music player thing? I LOVE music and it would be the best thing in the whole entire world to add some music to my blog lol...also I noticed that one of the days you had "BulletProof" as a theme song...I'm OBSESSED with that song...just thought I'd throw that out there. I am counting down the days to residency when we will be reunited! 64 days! Ok I've gone on far too long! Lata! :)

Marquita Hockaday said...

Racquel, LOL- we can't wait to see you too, hon! And go to playlist.com for the music thingy. Pam can help you with the Twitter thing on the page- I still get lost with that.

Holly, I plan to read Looking for Alaska too- Pam keeps raving about it!

Kaitlin Ward said...

I realllllly need to read Looking For Alaska. And loved Shiver! Gorgeous writing.

Kate Hart said...

I do some serious fangirling over both those choices.

Jess said...

I have heard so many good reviews of both of these books that it is a downright shame that I haven't read them yet. Sad. Just sad. No more excuses.

And great new layout to your site, you two! :)

Anonymous said...

I have not yet read LOOKING FOR ALASKA but will soon, and I'm currently re-reading SHIVER. I love Maggie Stiefvater's prose!

Nomes said...

Both fab books. Your having a top month! And yay for not feeling guilty. I cant wait to read Linger and Will Grayson Will Grayson.

Unknown said...

Love the beautiful site! Marquita, once you are done with DEAD IN THE FAMILY we need to talk, Sookie fan to Sookie fan! Serious s**t is going down in the C. Harris universe.

kah said...

Okay, so great review and I'm a new follower and all that jazz.

The real reason I'm here is to tell you that you should be the winner of Rachelle Gardner's contest. Your one sentence pitch KICKED BUTT! :)

Brilliant!

Michelle Schusterman said...

Looking for Alaska will most definitely get one hooked on the greatness that is John Green.

Ah, Shiver...I think I'm currently somewhere around #45 on the library hold list for that one? Sigh...

Pam Harris said...

Aww, thanks so much Karen. :) Welcome to the blog!

Amanda Hannah said...

LOOKING FOR ALASKA is another one I have got to read! And the Sookie Stackhouse ones are definitely guilty pleasures of mine!

ps loving the merged blog!