Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Debut Author Challenge #5: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Reading Song of the Day: "Till the World Ends" by Britney Spears

The next installment of our 2011 Debut Author Challenge is yet another book that I've been dying to read. Luckily, I won an ARC of Divergent from the lovely Katy Upperman, so I was able to actually read it before the release. There were three words that ran through my head once I finished: Oh. My. God.

In other words, this book DEFINITELY lives up to the hype I've been reading all over the Interwebz. In fact, I can't wait for more people to read it so that I can gush all about it with them. Really, if I can go into details about how much I love this book, I'll sound like a rambling idiot. I'll just say that it's probably one of the BEST books I've read. Ever.

Here's a snippet of what Goodreads has to say:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

And now...

The Top Four Things You Need to Know About Divergent:

1. Tris is a BAMF. I usually prefer male narrators, but Veronica Roth has created a protagonist that's...well, a bad a** you know the rest. I loved witnessing how Beatrice became Tris throughout the course of the novel. She started off as a passive wallflower, observing a world that she was dying to be a part of--but by the end of the novel, let's just say I'd want her to have my back in a fight.

2. You can see the action. As Quita wrote about earlier this week, action scenes are pretty much our writing Kryptonite. But in Divergent, you can feel the punches being thrown, see the characters jumping off of trains and buildings--there were even times where I thought I could taste the blood in my mouth after a character was attacked. Yes, Ms. Roth is quite talented--and I can't wait to read this again to take notes.

3. Can you say original? When I was discussing the concept of this book to my coworkers, they couldn't stop buzzing about the originality of it--and I couldn't stop agreeing with them. It's sad to say, but I've never heard of the names of some of these factions--at least, they don't frequent my daily conversations. And to think that when you're 16 you have to choose between joining a new faction, or staying with your family--how cool AND scary is that? We all know dystopian novels are HUGE right now, but if they're as creative and engaging as Divergent, then sign me up.

4. Four. Yes, there is a character named Four in this book--and believe me when I tell you that you'll be swooning over him DAYS after you finish reading. He's not your typical possible love interest. In fact, it's hard to determine who Four really is when we're first introduced to him--and the mystery will just be yet another thing that will keep you turning the pages.

If you like...

Books: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Giver by Lois Lowry, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood...then you'll like Divergent

Movies: Gattaca, V for Vendetta, Battle Royale...then you'll like Divergent

Have you had a chance to read Divergent? What are your thoughts? What faction would YOU choose?

6 comments:

Alicia Gregoire said...

I loved Divergent, but then I think you ladies already know that.

Jamie Manning said...

I'm sacrificing lunch today for a trip to the bookstore to get a copy...cannot wait! Thanks for this post (and I'm so jealous you had an ARC)!

Abby Stevens said...

Can't WAIT to read this one! I was so glad when ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS lived up to all the hype, and I'm crossing my fingers DIVERGENT will do the same (in its own dystopian awesome way, of course).

Karen Strong said...

Ah, I'm going to start reading DIVERGENT this weekend! Can't wait! :)

Ghenet Myrthil said...

I love dystopian novels so I'm excited to read this one!

Racquel Henry said...

Sounds awesome! I have only heard good things about this one! Enjoyed reading your thoughts sis! :)