Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday Fives: Look It Up!


Researching Song of the Day: "Look Into My Eyes" by Bone Thugs N Harmony

We've reached the end of another week...this summer is going by a lil' too fast for our tastes, actually. But, alas the end of the week brings good things, too. It means Friday Fives fun with the Paper Hangover gang!








This week, they wanna know: What are your Five Favorite Research Tools or Resources?






1.) Writing Magazines: Writer's Digest & The Writer Magazine: If you don't subscribe to either one of these mags...go do so, now. They both provide tips, writing exercises, and interviews with authors that are beyond helpful. Both of our recent issues give revisions tips, which is awesome, considering that we're both revising right now!




2.) Publisher's Marketplace: Pam has discussed this site at length numerous times, like here. This is a site that she visits daily (you have to have a subscription) to see what types of books editors are buying these days.







3.) Fill In The Blank Plotting by Linda George: This book was introduced to us by our buddy, Alicia. We like it so much that we even gave away a copy recently. The book will definitely be put to may-jah use once we start plotting our NaNo projects.







4.) Guide to Literary Agents Blog: C'mon...what can't you learn on this blog? Not only do you learn about shiny new agents (I like that part a lot), but you also get tips on query letters, announcements for conferences and agent/editor appearances and seminars, and various articles like advice on how to promote your book or why you should keep your day job.







5.) QueryTracker: Yes, I am still quite addicted to this site. I stalk my favorite agents. My favorite part is looking at the percentages of queries/submissions accepted and rejected. I also like reading other writers' comments.




And that's it! What are some of your fave research or resource tools?

8 comments:

Holly Hill said...

Oh man, I am SO addicted to Query Tracker for the same reasons. lol Great list!

Alicia Gregoire said...

Oh the book made on here, that's fantastic!!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

My sister got me The Writer for my b-day and I am eagerly anticipating the first one!

kah said...

You covered all my favs. :)

Happy Friday! xo

Yahong said...

Oohh, The Guide To Literary Agents blog rocks socks! (Plus, they have lots of giveaways :P) But I've heard that the "Acquisitions Editor" in Writer's Market may actually be a made-up person, just because publishers know so many people read Writer's Market. The Intern had an article about it here: http://internspills.blogspot.com/2009/04/attention-would-be-authors-this-is.html.

Rebecca B said...

Fill in the Blank Plotting looks like a wonderful tool--thanks for sharing!

Amie Kaufman said...

Man, so much of our research is online these days -- it would never have been that way even a few years ago!

Ghenet Myrthil said...

These are all great resources. I love Writer's Digest - I went to their writing conference in January and it was great. I really need to subscribe to those magazines.