Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

RTW: Chipping The Block

Writing Song of the Day: "Writer's Block" By Royce Da 5'9 ft. Eminem

It's Wednesday and guess what happens for us tomorrow?? We go back to work *cries, kicks, screams*.




But in the mean time, we're hanging out with the ladies of YA Highway for another Road Trip Wednesday. This week's topic is:



How do you beat writer's block?



We have two major steps that we go through in order to kick writer's block a**. They go a lil' something like this:

1.) Leave it be. You know the saying: a watched pot doesn't boil? Well a mulled over, stared at, stalked manuscript will also not write itself. If we're stuck, we leave that idea alone. Whether it's writing something else (a poem, a short story, plotting a new idea), exercising, or our favorite past times, eating, and watching TV :)

2.) Talk it out. Just like when you're joints are achy and you have to shake them out...when a story is blocked, just talk it out. Preferably with your amazing writing partner/cousin. Don't have one? You can hire me or Pam for the job :) Really, this works wonders. Pam worked out a major revision point for Wants just by talking about it out loud to me.

We're always looking for more advice, peeps. What do you all do to beat writer's block?

9 comments:

Alicia Gregoire said...

Talking it out is a great thing. I did that several times during my revision of Phoenix Rising with Hubby.

Kate Scott said...

On the "leave it" front, getting wet seems to help too. Swimming or even just taking a shower is a great place to step away from your writing and think. I expect it's the impossibility of actually writing while in the shower, but I ALWAYS get flooded with ideas while I'm soaking wet.

Holly Dodson said...

I'm definitely a "leave it be" girl. Just going and doing something else for a bit -- even if it's just laundry -- gives my subconscious time to work through what the problem is. :)

Rebecca B said...

I have a hard time leaving it be. Which is probably why I tend to power through with some crappy placeholder writing, or do something distracting, like exercise.

Jennifer Pickrell said...

I like to talk it out - my husband sits patiently while I basically talk AT him, trying to work things out :)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I like to surround myself with other stories when I can't think of what to write next. Video games, books, movies, all of it. :)

Alison Miller said...

Awesome advice. I walk away from it, but I can also break through the block by just talking it out with the husband.

Great post!

Jessica Love said...

I go back to work tomorrow, too. WAAH for summer being over.

Jess said...

I might have to take you up on that "hire Quita or Pam to talk ideas out with" thing. I can't discuss my work with anyone around here, but I'd sure like to! Haha!