Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Monday, March 22, 2010

Did I Really Just Write That?

Workout Song of the Day: "Mess of Me" by Switchfoot

So, a few days ago I wrote a post about my "dream agent." Then I read this. Then I felt stupid.

I guess I should explain myself. Sometimes, you read about someone that seems so absotively, posilutely right for you, that you find yourself wearing blinders. When I first read about "The Artist Formerly Known as Dream Agent," I couldn't get over how much alike we are. And then when I researched her clients, I saw that their writing styles were quite similar to mine--or at least how I strive to write. I thought we were like chocolate frosting on donuts--so ridiculously right for each other.

But that meant that I was narrowing my options.

After I read said post, I realized that I wasn't opening doors for myself. I started going to blogs and writing forums to read about other agents and, whaddayaknow, I saw other ones that seemed "right" for me. It's not that I'm giving up on "The Artist..."--I just think it's time for us to see other people. I'll query everyone who I feel is a right fit, and see what's meant to be. My "dream agent" will ultimately be the person who will fight for my writing--and I probably haven't even heard of him/her yet.

With that said, I will continue "My Agent Wish List" series next Monday. Hopefully, I'll find the perfect match for you all. :)

1 comment:

Marquita Hockaday said...

I hope that you do continue the series for people like me, you know the lazy ones who want one-stop shopping :) When I read your blog and see the agents I can decide if I want to look them up more on the Internet without having to do it myself. You provide a great service here! This is a really good post, and I'm glad I read it before I labeled someone my "dream agent."