Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Monday, May 17, 2010

My Agent Wish List: Taylor Martindale

Workout Song of the Day: "Find Your Love" by Drake




I love highlighting new agents. Not only are they actively building their client lists, but they also bring eagerness and a certain zest to the publishing industry. It's kind of like when I was fresh out of my graduate counseling program--the possibilities seemed endless. This week, I would like to showcase the wonderful Taylor Martindale of the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency. Ms. Martindale started off as a Submissions Coordinator for Bliss Literary Agency, Intl. before joining the SDLA family in the summer of 2009.


Why I Heart Her: She received her BA in English from the College of William and Mary. So, not only did she have the same major as me, but she also attended a college in my beloved Virginia! Call me a little biased. :)


Why You'll Heart Her: Because she knows what she wants immediately. She offered representation on a manuscript that she DIDN'T FINISH READING! I would love to have an agent so in awe of my writing that they don't even have to read a whole sample.


Who She Represents: Ms. Martindale is so amazingly new that I could only find one client (the subject of the fabulous tale I mentioned above). However, her agency represents writers such as Kate White, Janell Cannon, Lisa See, and Amy Tan. That's right--THE Amy Tan.


What She's Looking For: She places a heavy emphasis on all things YA, but she's also interested in women's fiction, commercial fiction, and multicultural fiction.


Notable Net Nuggets:


New Agent Alert on Guide to Literary Agents






Agent Story on Client's Blog






How to Submit to Her: Right now, this agent only takes e-queries by referral. All others interested need to snail mail a query with a synopsis and the first 50 pages of your manuscript. Additional information can be found here.


I'm even more eager to query this agent now after researching her. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all if you do the same for me. :)

9 comments:

Marquita Hockaday said...

Oooh, I am interested too- she sounds passionate about her job. Taking on a manuscript that she only read part of? Impressive! She might be worth me getting off my lazy butt and snail mailing. Great post and great find :)

Abby Stevens said...

Only takes e-queries by referral? WOW. I agree with Marquita - she does sound extremely passionate. She's on my list now!

Pam Harris said...

I know! She's the bomb, girls! :) I was a little concerned about the snail mail, but from all the good things I hear from others who've had interactions with her, she's worth the postage.

Tahereh said...

love this! she seems like an absolute doll :D

Unknown said...

All these interviews are so fantastic and informative Pam! I love reading through them. (when I finally - FINALLY - get to the query stage I will sift through them all again!)

Keep it up! :)

Pam Harris said...

Thanks, ladies. I even find myself clicking on my own links when I'm about to query one of them. I feel like patting myself on the back. Okay, I will. :)

Ann Marie Wraight said...

GOOD WORK Pam! WOW - she Is certainly DECISIVE!

GOOD LUCK - FINGERS CROSSED!

Sajidah said...

Thank you so much for these! :)

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Hi there! Just stumbled across your blog (which rocks by the way) and thought I would chime in on Taylor. From my brief interactions with her (I just queried her this last week through a referral) she is polite, professional and extremely sweet. Definitely worth querying!