Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Reading: Mmm, Mmm Good!

Reading Song of the Day: "Good Life" by One Republic


You learn a lot about people from the books they read--or better yet, books they DON'T read. Today at school, one of my students told me that reading was for rich folk. I'm still shuddering.


Anywho, we decided to take a look at our Goodreads accounts to see what they say about us. BTW, if you don't have a Goodreads account, get one. Now. Oh, and BTW, if you're not friends with Quita and me on Goodreads, what are you waiting for?? Check out my profile here and Quita's here.


Now, without further ado...


Pam's Books:


Currently Reading: A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young. I won an ARC a while back and I'm finally getting a chance to crack it open. So far so good.


Books Read: 57. This is a complete lie. I've probably read three times as many books. Alas, I have yet to go through the archives of my mind to list every possible book I've ever read.


To-Read List: 87. Yes, my eyes are too big for my wallet. A few that I'm uber eager about? Love Drugged by James Klise; Cracked by my agent-sister K.M. Walton, and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer byMichelle Hodkin. Yes, ladies and gentlemen--I like my YA a little dark.


Number of Books I Gave 5 Stars: 26. Not a bad percentage if I'm only counting 57 books. A few standouts? The Absolute Value of -1 by Steve Brezenoff, Room by Emma Donoghue, Tricks by Ellen Hopkins, Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott, Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell, and Lord of the Flies by William Golding


Quita's Books:


Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Pam read this for our MFA program and raved...plus I feel like a loser for never reading this classic in the first place.


Books Read: 75- unlike Pam I did comb my mind to think of some old books I read...and like 20 of those books are from the Sookie Stackhouse series--Charlaine Harris just keeps popping those books out!


To-Read List: 75- no lie. I didn't make my numbers match on purpose. I don't understand how it's just 75. Note to self: must update my To-Read List soon. Some of the stars on my current "To-Read" line up are Recovery Road by Blake Nelson, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater


Number of Books I Gave 5 Stars: 25. Pretty good overall! Some of favorite 5 star reviews are Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Rock Star Superstar by Blake Nelson, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim.


So what do our book choices tell you about us? Furthermore, what do your book choices tell you about yourselves??

5 comments:

Jamie Manning said...

Wow, I feel like an overachiever: my TBR list is currently sitting at 230!! Oy, talk about Great Expectations (ooh, I need to add that to the list).

Excellent post, ladies!

Unknown said...

I was just talking about goodreads with my running/bookshopping friend. Quita- I think it great that 20 of your books are Sookie Stackhouse books. There are a ton of them. I think of these books as being like Candy. I didn't go into the archives of my mind to remember all the books I've read.

Meredith McCardle said...

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is on my TBR list too. Dying to read that one!

Racquel Henry said...

Yes Quita, I also gave five stars to Zombie by JCO! And Pam, I tend to like darker fiction as well. I don't know what that says about me lol. :)

Ghenet Myrthil said...

My Goodreads TBR list is massive. I need to do a better job of updating my profile with the books I've read. It was interesting to see what you two have been reading! :)