Our Masterpieces...Err, Our Novels

Monday, November 28, 2011

We Did It!!

Celebrating Song of the Day: "Oops!...I Did it Again..." by Britney Spears

Saturday, November 26, 2011 is a date that will live in infamy...at least in the household of two greedy, sleep-deprived cousins. You see, we managed to collect this:




That's right--Quita and I won our second NaNoWriMo challenge! Can we get a woot woot? How about a little dance?



Thanks.


So yeah, my contemporary YA (with a hint of magical realism), So Now You Are Cursed, clocked in at a lovely 56,441 words. And Quita's contemporary YA, The Captive Soul, ended at an awesome 57,205 words. So, as promised, we treated ourselves to this:



I tell you, victory has never tasted so sweet.


We thought last year's NaNoWriMo was difficult, but this year was a pure juggling act. I had to work on revisions for another novel, while Quita started up a part-time job (in addition to her full-time one of yelling at...I mean, TEACHING high schoolers). Not to mention everyday we pretty much wanted to punch our WIPs in the face. But with will power, and the thought of chowing down on some Five Guys grub, we got through it.


So now what?


Well, we're going to ignore our stories for a while--and by a while, I mean MONTHS. Then we're going to eventually draft ideas for our next WIPs. But most importantly, we're going to READ like it's going out of style.


What about you all? Have you finished NaNo yet (if you participated, of course)? What are you going to do with your WIPs once you're finished? But most importantly, how are you going to REWARD yourselves? :)

11 comments:

Meredith McCardle said...

Woot! Woot! Awesome job, ladies! :)

Christine Murray said...

Congrats! Remember, ten per cent more word count equals ten per cent more reward. Hope you enjoyed your treat and are taking a well-deserved rest.

Ghenet Myrthil said...

Congrats! Five Guys is an awesome reward. :)

Jamie Manning said...

Yay ladies!! So happy for you guys! With only 3 days left, I don't think I'll make it...but that's okay, cause you two did! :)

Hope Roberson said...

Woot! Woot! Great titles too by the way :)

Jessica Love said...

YAY QUITA! YAY PAM! Good for you guys! :-D *tosses confetti*

Mrs. Silverstein said...

Congrats! I'm so in awe, especially as a HS teacher myself. I'm happy enough to have a WIP that I'm excited about--but finishing was never in the cards. Way to go!

Jess said...

Congrats to you both! What a great accomplishment--for the 2nd year in a row, too! :)

Alex Mullarky said...

I had a veggie burger :) yay, well done you guys!

Marquita Hockaday said...

Thanks for the love, you guys! We couldn't have done it with out all of you writerly pals and your support!

@Christine--Wise words :D And yes, we are enjoying our time away from writing. More time to read!

@Jamie- Don't give up! You might do it :D

@ Mrs. Silverstein- OMIGOD, it was sooooo hard completing it while working. We know exactly what you mean. Thanks for commenting!

Racquel Henry said...

Congrats!!! Yes, I'm going to read too! Oh yes, and sleep! And work on Black Fox...I feel so bad I haven't responded to emails! Yikes!